The charter of the Pecos County State Bank was dated March 22, 1928. The bank opened for business on July 3, 1928, in the old First State Bank building located on the corner of First and Main in Fort Stockton, Texas. Opening Capital was $25,000.00 with a surplus of $6,250.00. The first officers were J.M. Montgomery, President; H.L. Winfield, Vice President; F.A. Stubblefield, Cashier; and F.H. Felps, Assistant Cashier. The first Board of Directors were composed of the following stockholders: J.M. Montgomery, H.L. Winfield, F.A. Stubblefield, J.H. Felps, S.S. Harris, John W. Rotan, J.S. Oates, Niemann, and F.S. Wilson.
In July 1935 Pecos County State Bank announced the purchase the First National Bank of Fort Stockton Teas.
In 1958 the bank secured all of Block 46, Old Fort Addition as a site for a new bank building. On Monday morning, October 10, 1960, the bank opened for business in the new building located at 500 North Main Street with 7 officers and 14 employees. To this day it is still at this location.
In September 1977 the Board of Directors formed the 5th Street Corporation which purchased the “5th Street House”. It was formally known as the Montgomery Ward Catalog House. The 5th Street house was a prefab house brought to West Texas by train and was remodeled and has been used by the bank for social events ever since. At the same time the property next to the 5th Street House was purchased and donated to Pecos County to build the current Fort Stockton Public Library.
In May 1979 property was purchased on Dickinson, Blvd. which was an old motel. The land was cleared, and the Pecos County State Bank Motor Bank was built
On December 12, 2008, the FDIC closed the Sanderson State Bank, Pecos County State Bank was the successful bidder. This was Pecos County State Bank’s first expansion outside Fort Stockton.
In the beginning of 2012 negotiations began to purchase two other area locations. On April 1st the doors were opened at Sierra Blanca Bank formerly Trans-Pecos Bank in Sierra Blanca, Texas and June 25th opened Van Horn Bank formerly Western Bank in Van Horn, Texas. The two acquisitions helped the Pecos County State Bank increase deposits from $128 million to $168 million as of year-end 2012.
In July of 2018, the bank celebrated its 90th Anniversary by hosting a reception in the bank lobby.
The Pecos County State Bank currently has 6 Directors, 3 Advisory Directors, and 14 Officers, with 62 full and part-time employees. Special recognition can be given to the loyalty and dedication of these fine people. And a special thanks for their part in the continued growth and success of The Pecos County State Bank.
|Mr. Harlan J. Lambert||Chairman of the Board|
|Mr. George Hansard||President & CEO and Trust Officer|
|Mr. Jim Ivy||Wallace Lumber Company|
|Mr. Bentley King||Southwest Marketers and Rancher|
|Mr. Ernest Woodward||Woodward Trading and Rancher|
|Mr. Clyde Sawyer||Sawyer & Associates|
|Mr. Bill McAnally||Advisory Director, Executive Vice President|
|Mr. Scott King||Advisory Director, SK Investments|
|Mr. Kyle Card||Advisory Director, Stockton Ford|
|Lisa Chavarria||Board Secretary, Senior Vice President|
|1928 – 1933||J.M. Montgomery|
|1933 – 1952||H.L. Winfield|
|1952 – 1968||M.C. Puckett|
|1968 – 1971||Karl Butz|
|1971 – 1975||Patrick Gerald|
|1975 – 1979||Bruce Wiggs|
|1979 – 2005||Harlan J. Lambert|
|2005 to current||George H. Hansard|
December 1961 – December 2021
|December 1961||$ 8,500,000.00|
|December 1971||$ 14,482,000.00|
|December 1981||$ 52,930,000.00|
|December 1991||$ 57,697,000.00|
|December 2001||$ 85,089,000.00|
|December 2011||$ 144,591,000.00|
|December 2021||$ 323,062,975.00|